A TEENAGE thug who tried to murder a 16-year-old boy in a horror attack at a barber's shop has been jailed for five years.

Ryan Owens, 18, inflicted three stab wounds on Oliwier Bijas in two seconds during the murder bid on Musselburgh High Street.

He had earlier stolen knives from a nearby B&M store to arm himself before the attack on Bijas, who is now also 18.

Owens, then aged 15, and three accomplices burst into TG Barber Shop and launched their assault in front of shocked staff and customers including young children.

He punched and kicked his victim and repeatedly struck him with the blade.

Horrified members of the public and other customers desperately tried to stop the attack.

Bijas told a trial he and his then-girlfriend had decided to go out to get him a haircut and go for some food.


They had just called an Uber taxi to go home when the attack began.

His girlfriend tried to stop the assault but was also hit as well as violence erupted.

Bijas was taken to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and treated for stab wounds and a collapsed lung.

Owens, of Tranent, earlier admitted attempted murder at the barber shop in April 2021.

Judge Lord Scott jailed him at the High Court in Lanark on Thursday and ordered he be kept on licence for three years following his release.

Advocate Charles Ferguson said on Owens' behalf: "He understands a significant sentence is likely to follow given he pled guilty to attempted murder.

"Most people in society must despair at someone finding themselves in this sort of trouble at such a young age.

"He must now reflect on the damage he has caused."

Lord Scott said to Owens: "The social work report has provided me with information and background as well as your frankly alarming account of what happened.

"You admitted to looking for your victim with the knife and you stated that you still hate him, although it is unclear if he has done anything to you at any point.

"The author of the report says there is a risk of you committing another violent offence and no alternative is available to the court.

"I'm concerned that the public are adequately protected from you when you are released."

Owens was told the sentence was significantly less than it would have been if he had been over 25 because of sentencing guidelines.


Brandon Sivier, 19, of Edinburgh, and a 17-year-old boy who cannot be identified because of his age, were cleared of attempting to murder Bijas but were found guilty of assaulting him by punching and kicking him.

A 16-year-old boy, who also cannot be identified, admitted punching and kicking the victim in the assault.

Lord Scott deferred sentence on all three teenagers for six months for good behaviour but described the incident as "shocking", "brazen" and "completely unjustified".

He told them they had "just seen what happens" to people who carry knives and use them against others.

They will appear again at the High Court in Glasgow on March 28 next year.