Tranent FC's hopes of reaching a second cup final were ended on Saturday. While Dunbar United and Haddington Athletic both progressed in the League Cup, and Musselburgh Athletic narrowly lost in the same competition.


Tranent 1 East Kilbride 2

Tranent's South Challenge Cup journey ended in defeat at the semi-final stage when they were beaten 2-1 at home to East Kilbride.

The visitors took an early lead just four minutes into the tie.

Tranent were level before half time when Broque Watson fired home from long range with a superb strike.

Just as the game looked to be going to the break level, the visitors again struck on 45 minutes to make it 2-1.

Things got worse for Tranent on 65 minutes when John Robertson was sent off for a second booking.

Despite some late chances, including hitting the bar in added time, Tranent could not find a leveller and were eliminated.

Tranent will not have to wait long for another shot at their opponents though as the pair lock horns in the Lowland League Cup final on Sunday.


Dunbar United 6 Edinburgh United 1

Dunbar United soared into the third round of the League Cup with a 6-1 home win over Edinburgh United.

Taylor Hendry had Dunbar ahead just six minutes in before Liam Gregory made it 2-0 on 15 minutes.

Gregory again struck on 40 minutes to give Dunbar a 3-0 lead at half time.

The visitors pulled a goal back on 53 minutes, though celebrations were short-lived when Ben Bathgate restored the three goal advantage seven minutes later.

Bathgate then made it 5-1 on 81 minutes before an 85th minute own goal wrapped up the game.

Dunbar return to league action tomorrow when they visit Dundonald Bluebell in the Premier Division.


Haddington Athletic 2 Heriot-Watt University 0

Haddington Athletic were also victorious in the League Cup with a 2-0 home win over Heriot-Watt University.

Gary Windram had Haddington ahead on 21 minutes with a fantastic long-range strike.

The lead was doubled on 62 minutes thanks to a neat ball from Gabri Auriemma into Tom Davies who slotted home from close range.

It was a deserved win on the night. Haddington return to league action on Saturday with a trip to Crossgates in the Premier Division.


Musselburgh Athletic 1 Sauchie 2

Musselburgh Athletic’s League Cup journey came to an end at the home to Sauchie.

The visitors were ahead just nine minutes in before doubling the lead on 48 minutes.

Despite pressing, Musselburgh struggled to get going but did find a goal on 72 minutes when Jonny Court struck home a neat ball played in by Bob Wilson.

It was too little to late though as the hosts could not find an equaliser.

Next up for Musselburgh is a trip to Luncarty in the Premier Division on Saturday.


Preston Athletic (P) Kinnoull (P)

Preston Athletic’s League Cup tie at home to Kinnoull was called off due to bad weather and will be replayed.

A trip to Vale of Leithen in the First Division is on the cards for Preston tomorrow.

Ormiston Primrose (P) St Andrews (P)

Ormiston Primrose’s King Cup tie at home to St Andrews also fell victim to the weather.

The county side host Bo’ness Athletic in the Second Division on Saturday.