MUSSELBURGH Athletic put 10 goals past Vale of Leithen as Tranent Juniors and Dunbar United progressed in cup action in what was a mixed set of results for county sides.

Tranent Juniors ran out comfortable 3-1 winners at home to Linlithgow Rose in the fourth round of the Challenge Cup.

Martin Maughan put Tranent in front just before half time from the penalty spot with a thunderous effort in off the bar.

The lead did not last long though with Linlithgow Rose equalising just minutes later before half time.

Tranent restored their lead 10 minutes into the second half thanks to an own goal before James Keatings nabbed his first goal for the club just five minutes later to make it 3-1.

Tranent Juniors return to league action tomorrow (Tuesday) where they face Gala Fairydean Rovers away from home.

In the Premier Division, Musselburgh Athletic ran rampant as they won 10-2 against Vale of Leithen at home.

Nathan Evans opened the scoring on 12 minutes before doubling the lead on the half hour mark.

George Hunter made it 3-0 just five minutes later before Liall Smith added a fourth a minute after him.

In the second half, Liam Reid marked his 100th appearance by adding a fifth goal for Musselburgh on 53 minutes.

Bob Wilson made it 6-0 five minutes later before Hunter grabbed another to make it 7-0 on 59 minutes.

The visitors pulled one back on 63 minutes but Musselburgh made it 8-1 on 67 minutes through Wilson.

It was the visitors who got the next goal with 15 minutes to play but Hunter was again on hand just a minute later to complete the hattrick and make it 9-2.

Things got worse for the visitors as they were reduced to ten men in the closing stages, and a late own goal completed the scoring to make it 10-2 to Musselburgh.

The win puts Musselburgh Athletic second in the table but still 14 points behind leaders Linlithgow Rose. They next face Penicuik at home on Saturday.

Haddington Athletic were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Penicuik.

Dave Edwards put the visitors in front just four minutes in.

But a second half equaliser on 50 minutes from Gabri Auriemma ensured Haddington rescued a point and stretched their unbeaten run to six games.

They sit eighth in the table and next face Vale of Leithen at home on Saturday.

In the First Division, Preston Athletic were beaten 4-0 away from home against Luncarty.

Aaron Carlon, Olly Hamilton, Rhys Davies and Fraser Mills all netted for the hosts who were comfortable winners.

Preston Athletic sit seventh in the table and next face Newtongrange Star away from home on Saturday.

It was King Cup first round action for Dunbar United who ran out 3-0 winners over Dalkeith Thistle to progress to the next round.

James Redpath had Dunbar ahead on 38 minutes before Josh Walker made it 2-0 on 66 minutes.

Johnny Edmond wrapped up the game on 73 minutes to ensure a comfortable win for the hosts.

Dunbar, who are top of the First Division, next face Whitehill Welfare away from home in the league on Saturday.

Ormiston Primrose are now two games unbeaten after holding Syngenta to a 1-1 draw at home in the Second Division.

Josh Winnik had put Ormiston in front on 37 minutes, tapping home from close range.

The hosts held on well throughout the second half but couldn’t cope with sustained Sygenta pressure and the visitors found an equaliser in the closing 20 minutes to rescue a point.

Ormiston sit 16th in the table on 11 points as they look to close the gap on the safety zone where Edinburgh United sit on 14th on 15 points.

They next face Easthouses Lily away from home on Saturday.