WE TAKE a look at the stories making headlines in East Lothian 25, 50 and 100 years ago.


25 years ago...

A FOOTBALL club were making headlines off the pitch, reported the East Lothian Courier on September 20, 1996.

Tranent Juniors Football Club are preparing to tighten their purse strings after numerous sponsors pulled out of the club this week when the manager resigned, accusing committee members of being “unprofessional”.

Manager Roy Baines claimed that about 15 sponsors had verbally told him they were withdrawing their support after he quit the club along with the assistant manager, coach, vice-chairman and three committee members, who are all unhappy with how some older committee members are running the local football club.

Mr Baines claimed that the committee was being run by “old men”, some of whom were in their 70s.

They were stopping the club from reaching its full potential and had failed to make good use of the sponsorship brought in by himself and others, he claimed.

Mr Baines’ decision comes just one month after Alex Fairgrieve resigned as chairman of the club for “personal reasons”.


50 years ago

‘PICKPOCKET made his day,’ reported The Haddingtonshire Courier on September 24, 1971.

A holidaymaker in Tranent would have had his vacation ruined had it not been for a woman picking his pockets.

Mrs Irene McNeill makes a habit of picking pockets.

But its quite legal, for she is not a “pick-pocket”.

Recently she was rummaging in a man’s pocket when she discovered a wad of bank notes. They totalled £49.

A short time elapsed and a woman burst into her place of work – the launderette in Tranent – and inquired if money had been left in a holidaymaker’s pockets.

It had been and Mrs McNeill was able to hand over her find.


100 years ago

IRISH harvesters were in trouble in Haddington, according to The Haddingtonshire Courier on September 23, 1921.

In the Burgh Court on Monday morning, five Irish farm labourers were charged with disorderly conduct in various streets of the town on Saturday night.

At the hour they were cited to appear, none of the accused attended Court, and their bails were declared forfeited.

On Tuesday morning at the same Court, Bailie Phail had to deal with a further complaint of a similar nature, the accused being James Gallacher, labourer. He was charged with having, on the previous day in a local hotel, conducted himself in a quarrelsome and disorderly manner, and refused to leave the premises when requested.