A PROPERTY manager has been fined after he admitted driving in a careless manner on the Edinburgh City Bypass.

Graham Cuthell was travelling on the busy road when he began to brake suddenly as he believed a lorry behind him was driving too close to his vehicle, a court heard.

Cuthell, of Main Street, Elphinstone, eventually came to a stop on the A720, causing the truck to take evasive action to avoid a collision.

The letting agent pleaded guilty to an amended charge of driving without due care and attention during an appearance in the dock at Edinburgh Sheriff Court last Thursday.

Fiscal depute Sarah Whyte told the court that Cuthell was driving his vehicle on the southbound carriageway of the city bypass at about 2.15pm on September 5, 2022.

Ms Whyte said that a lorry was behind the accused’s car and both vehicles were travelling at about 50mph.

'Half on the road'

The court heard that Cuthell began to “slow down and very quickly brake and apply his hazard lights” before going on to brake about four times more and then “come to a complete stop”.

The fiscal said that 66-year-old Cuthell was “half on the road, half on the slip road” and was causing an obstruction.

The lorry driver was forced to “brake heavily” and had to move out to overtake the now-stationary car.

Cuthell then entered the hard shoulder and eventually stopped completely on a verge.

Solicitor Mr Simpson, representing Cuthell, said his client had “felt the lorry driver was driving particularly close” and also had a problem with a leaking fuel filter on his vehicle.

The lawyer said that, as a result of the fault, Cuthell could not go faster than 50mph, which was “frustrating vehicles behind”.

Mr Simpson said that Cuthell subsequently took the decision to come to a halt “for his own personal safety” but knew “he should not have done that”.

He told the court that his client was a property manager who had his own lettings business and his driving licence was essential for him and his wife.

The lawyer added that Cuthell had “50 years of driving and never appeared before a court”.

Sheriff Francis Gill said: “I think you now accept driving the way you did, there was no need to take that course of action. It is fortunate there was not a more serious outcome.”

Cuthell was fined £580 and had five penalty points added to his driving licence.