A SEX attacker who raped a woman after subjecting her to repeated abuse was today jailed for six years.

Duncan Brown tried to kiss the victim before pushing her onto a bed and sexually assaulting her at a house in East Lothian.

A judge told Brown, 37, at the High Court in Edinburgh that it was a serious offence which must have been a truly frightening experience for the victim.

Lord Weir said that a jury's earlier verdict reached at Brown's trial reflected "a very serious course of offending" on his part.

Brown, formerly of Tyne Park, Pencaitland, was previously found guilty of four charges involving two women – two of engaging in conduct which caused fear or alarm to women, one of abusive behaviour and one of rape.

Lord Weir ordered that Brown should be kept under supervision for a further two-year period when he will be on licence in the community and can be returned to prison if he breaches its conditions.

'Chaotic lifestyle'

Defence counsel Victoria Dow said that Brown had reflected on his behaviour and was ashamed of the abusive conduct, but continued to deny committing the rape.

She said that he had found himself in "a chaotic lifestyle" with significant misuse of both drugs and alcohol.

The defence counsel asked the judge to take into account Brown's "clear remorse" and his acknowledgement that things must change in future.

Brown was convicted of conduct causing fear or alarm to his first victim between December 2010 and March the following year at addresses in East Lothian when he shouted at her and made threats to the woman, subjected her to unwanted phone calls and text messages, monitored and controlled her movements, and coerced her into giving him money.

The second woman, who was raped by him on November 15, 2020, was also subjected to months of abusive behaviour by him.

During the behaviour, which began in March the previous year, he made unwanted phone calls to the woman and turned up at her home address uninvited.

He also shouted and swore at her and made derogatory remarks to the victim. He monitored her movements and entered her home and refused to leave.

He also pushed and grabbed the woman, repeatedly bit her on the body and got her to give him money.

'Despicable actions'

Brown was placed on the sex offenders' register indefinitely following his sentencing.

Following Brown's sentencing, Detective Chief Inspector Stephen Wood, of Police Scotland, said: “The actions of Brown were disgraceful and he has now been made to face the consequences of his despicable actions.

“I hope today’s sentence provides his victims with some form of justice and allows the women to continue to move forward.

“Police Scotland thoroughly investigates all reports of sexual crimes and, with the support of our partners, will support those who come forward throughout the process.

“I’d encourage anyone who has been the victim of domestic abuse and/or a sexual crime, regardless of when it happened, to report it to us in the confidence; we will do all we can to bring the person responsible to justice.”