WE TAKE a look at the stories making headlines in East Lothian 25, 50 and 100 years ago.

25 years ago

PLANS for a revolutionary sports facility in Dunbar received a financial boost, reported the East Lothian Courier of March 26, 1999.

An innovative health and fitness centre, costing £2.7 million, is to be built in Dunbar.

Cash for the Hallhill Healthy Living Centre was raised by Dunbar Community Development Company, who received a major boost on Wednesday when a lottery award of almost £1 million was awarded by the Scottish Sports Council.

The centre will introduce a new concept of health and leisure facilities into Scotland.

The main aim is to encourage every member of the community to participate in their choice of sport or physical activity, whatever their age or ability.

Information and training on healthier lifestyles, and a coach development programme to help improve the fitness of the Dunbar community, will all be available.

It is hoped the proposed development will also bring together all sections of the community.

50 years ago

A REPORT of a trawler running aground was featured in the East Lothian Courier on March 29, 1974.

A British trawler which ran aground on Tyninghame Sands on Saturday managed to refloat without the assistance of tugs, after being on the sand for approximately four hours.

The trawler, Ben Tarbert, owned by Richard Irvine & Co., North Shields, and skippered by Stanley Fraser, was on her way to the fishing grounds off the Faroes when she ran aground with a crew of 14 on board.

Both Dunbar lifeboat and the inshore rescue boat attended with the tug Euroman, but at about 1.45am on Sunday the trawler was able to refloat without the aid of the tug.

One member of the crew, 17-year-old Charles Teague, who was suffering from an eye injury, was taken off the trawler by the inshore lifeboat and, after being treated at Roodlands Hospital, arrangements were made to have him sent home to North Shields.

100 years ago

A DUNBAR lifeboat suffered damage following an exercise, resulting in it being rendered out of action, reported The Haddingtonshire Courier on March 28, 1924.

An alarming incident occurred at Skateraw on Wednesday afternoon of last week, in connection with the exercise of the lifeboat, Sarah Kay.

After the exercise, the beachmen were about to haul the boat up the slipway, when it was caught by a groundswell, and being thrown on its broadside, was considerably damaged.

Ultimately, the boat was drawn up the slipway by means of the winch housed.

In consequences of the accident,

the lifeboat will be out of action for several weeks, until repairs have been effected.