A FORMER serviceman who became involved in a violent pub brawl ended up in court after he was seen kicking a man unconscious.

Hebron Matakiviti was drinking in The Southsider pub in the Newington area of Edinburgh when he became “involved in an altercation with patrons”, Edinburgh Sheriff Court was told.

Matakiviti challenged pub-goers to fight with him and a large group of men were said to have exited the pub and began confronting each other in the street outside.

Fiscal depute Matthew Miller told the court that witness Michael Gray was attempting to break the fight up when he ended up on the ground at about 7pm on March 25, 2022.

The court heard that the incident was captured on CCTV and footage showed Matakiviti walking up to Mr Gray during the melee and landing “a single kick to the head, rendering him unconscious”.

Matakiviti, of Kitchener Crescent, Longniddry, was pulled away from the fighting and was said to have left the area before the police were called.

Officers attended the scene after receiving several phone calls from concerned residents and the 42-year-old was apprehended about an hour later in a nearby street.

Mr Miller told the court that Mr Gray suffered from “a large cut to the head” which required 10 staples to be inserted after he had been taken to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh for the treatment.

The victim is said to have been left with a visible scar due to the assault.

Possible PTSD

Matakiviti appeared in court last Thursday, where he pleaded guilty to assaulting Michael Gray by kicking him to the head while he was on the ground and rendering him unconscious, all to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement, at Richmond Street and Nicholson Street, Edinburgh, on March 25, 2022.

He also admitted to an amended charge of behaving in a threatening or abusive manner and challenging others to fight with him, repeatedly shouting and uttering derogatory remarks during the same incident.

Lawyer Matthew Nicholson, representing Matakiviti, said that his client was a former serviceman and he was awaiting a psychological report into a possible diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Mr Nicolson said that the report would be available for the next hearing and asked for Matakiviti’s bail to be continued.

Sheriff Wendy Sheehan agreed to continue bail and deferred sentence for the preparation of social work reports.