FAMILY of an engineer who was tragically crushed to death beneath a supermarket goods lift have received more than £500,000 in damages.

Former soldier Kenneth Heron, from Tranent, had been carrying out routine maintenance on the ‘scissor’ lift, used to transfer goods between two levels in a storeroom at the Co-op store in Bridgend, Perth.

The incident took place on October 11, 2019, and Mr Heron, 51, died in hospital six days later.

A Fatal Accident Inquiry (FAI) took place last year.

READ MOREInquiry hears of Tranent engineer Kenneth Heron's tragic lift death

Now, a civil claim has been settled and Kenneth’s wife Sheryl said: “It would be wrong to say that I am glad to settle a civil action because I’d far rather have my husband by my side.

“The legal action helps protect my home and it helped me have the support I needed around the FAI.

“But more importantly for me, it clears Kenny’s name – throughout the FAI, I felt like [his employer] Wanzl was doing and saying things that effectively accused my husband of being responsible for his own accident, but the successful settlement lets me know this was not true.

“The last few years have been utterly devastating for me and I’m still trying to process this trauma.

“I can only say thank you to those closest to me for their ongoing support but, as all legal proceedings are now finished, I just wish to be left in peace as I find a way to move forwards.”

READ MOREWife of engineer killed in lift tragedy in Perth Co-op speaks out

Following the determination of the FAI last July, the sheriff confirmed in his ruling that the failure to provide supporting blocks/external props contributed to the accident; and had his employers Wanzl provided the correct supporting blocks, the accident could have been avoided.

Sheryl, now 42, had been Kenneth’s partner since 2008 after meeting in Abu Dhabi, where they both worked.

The pair returned to Scotland to settle down on Valentine’s Day in 2019, then married on June 30 that year – Kenny died just four months later.

Kenny worked as an electronic technician with Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers with the British Army between 1988 and 2000.

He also worked as a weapons technician with the Royal Saudi Naval Force between 2005 and 2011.

He then went on to work in offshore maintenance in Abu Dhabi, where he met Sheryl, of Loanhead.

Simon Hammond, partner at Digby Brown in Edinburgh, who helped Kenny’s family secure the six-figure sum, added: “Sheryl and the rest of Kenny’s family has waited a long time for justice, yet they have always composed themselves with a profound dignity and strength that is truly commendable.

“Fatal accidents are by their very nature devastating but the pain of loved ones is worsened when they are denied answers, so I hope the outcome of this case brings Kenny’s loved ones the recognition they deserve.”