WE TAKE a look at the stories making headlines in East Lothian 25, 50 and 100 years ago.

25 years ago

MONEY had been found to reopen a clifftop path in Dunbar, told the East Lothian Courier on January 8, 1999.

Funding to rebuild the clifftop trail at Dunbar has been approved and the scenic walkway which was closed more than three years ago is set to open in the summer.

The work, costing around £80,000, will replace the wooden bridge, secure the banking and allow the public to use that section of walkway safely for the first time since 1995.

East Lothian Councillor Norman Hampshire was informed this week by Lothian and Edinburgh Enterprise Limited (LEEL), the main contributors to the rebuilding plan, of their decision to provide funding.

Mr Hampshire said that work on the trail was due to begin at the end of January and should be completed by the end of March.

At an earlier meeting of Dunbar Community Council, Mr Hampshire warned that LEEL wanted the project finished by the end of the financial year, March 31, though this was unlikely due to the extent of the repairs.

50 years ago

A PARKING ban was recommended for Tranent High Street, reported the East Lothian Courier on January 11, 1974.

A ban on all parking in High Street and Bridge Street, Tranent, except at certain times, has been recommended by the Working Party set up to look into the burgh’s traffic problems.

To offset the parking ban on the main street there would be provision for off-street parking on the south side of the High Street.

On Monday, at a meeting of Tranent Town Council, the Town Clerk, Mr R Thomson reported to members of the initial meeting of the recently-formed working party of officials. He said the problem facing the Working Party was how to stop car-parking on the High Street altogether.

This had to be done “by persuasion rather than force” and by provision of proper off-street parking facilities.

Loading and off-loading on the main street would be allowed.

100 years ago

PROGRESS was being made to replace a school in Elphinstone which was destroyed by fire, said The Haddingtonshire Courier on January 11, 1924.

Satisfactory progress is being made with the construction of the new school to replace the old building which was destroyed by fire in the early part of last year.

The walls are up and the roofing is almost completed. The interior will be dealt with as rapidly as possible, and with the lengthening days and good weather, the completion of the school should be reached in a month or two. The operations are being supervised by Mr F. W. Hardie, the Education Authority’s architect.