WE TAKE a look at the stories making headlines in East Lothian 25, 50 and 100 years ago.

25 years ago

PLANS for a multi-million-pound dog racing track were submitted to East Lothian Council, said the East Lothian Courier of January 9, 1998.

Plans for a £4 million community sports and greyhound stadium at Wallyford, designed to boost local tourism, came a step closer this week when a detailed planning application was lodged.

The greyhound racing facility with a grandstand housing restaurants, bars, boxes for corporate entertaining and conference facilities will be the core business, with racing planned five nights a week.

A floodlit football pitch, two all-weather pitches, a health and fitness gym, indoor games hall, veterinary centre and children’s day care nursery and creche are also planned.

A total of 126 full-time jobs will be created if the facility gets the green light from planners and it should, say the developers, have an important economic impact on tourism.

“It will be part of the marketing concept of the stadium company to link holiday packages for greyhound supporters from Europe,” said developers’ spokesman Howard Wallace.

50 years ago

THE East Lothian Courier of January 12, 1973, hailed a Haddington farmer who became regional elbow wrestling champion.

Roy Black of East Lothian Young Farmers’ Club this week won the South East of Scotland final of the Scottish National Elbow Wrestling Championship at the Stair Arms Hotel in Pathhead.

Roy won the Haddington final in December and will now go on to the national final to be held in Glasgow.

The championship, which is being held in aid of charity, is organised by the Scottish Round Tables, supported by the Stars Organisation and sponsored by the proprietors of Red Hackle Whisky.

Roy won a bottle of whisky in the Haddington final and at Pathhead he was presented with three more by comedian Jimmy Logan.

100 years ago

A STEAM trawler was sunk off the coast of Port Seton, reported The Haddingtonshire Courier on January 12, 1923.

The steam trawler, “Strathallan” of Granton, foundered early on Wednesday morning about 300 yards from the mouth of Port Seton harbour, the crew of nine being rescued by the fisherman from Cockenzie and Port Seton.

The vessel had been run into by an unknown steamer off St Abbs Head, and the skipper was trying to run for Granton, when the gale increased.

Flares made with the crew’s bedding were burned to attract attention, and just as the vessel sank the crew were rescued by fishing boats put out from Port Seton.