WE TAKE a look at the stories making headlines in East Lothian 25, 50 and 100 years ago.

25 years ago

TELETUBBIES were making front page news in the East Lothian Courier on December 19, 1997.

A Pencaitland dad is cashing in on this year’s craze for Teletubby dolls and has bought the full set of four toys in the hope that they will net him a healthy profit.

However, James Cormack, 35, of Spilmersford View, is set to raffle the television character dolls for a very good reason – to raise money to take his son to America to take part in a revolutionary treatment programme for autism.

James queued for hours outside an Edinburgh toy superstore three Sundays in a row to buy the sought after Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa Laa and Po dolls, and is set to raffle the cuddly characters at the Co-op supermarket in Tranent on Saturday.

MEANWHILE, a man had a narrow escape as a Haddington building crumbled.

The collapse of part of the ancient Burley’s Wa’s, which nearly killed a pensioner, happened despite two years of monitoring, it was revealed this week.

Last Thursday the south gable of the former Yorkston’s shoe repair shop in Brown Street collapsed and half filled the close below, narrowly missing an elderly man walking through.

... 50 years ago

A DANCE hall brawl in North Berwick was making the headlines in the East Lothian Courier on December 22, 1972.

Six youths who were involved in a fight in the Harbour Pavillion, North Berwick, were fined after a trial at Haddington Sheriff Court. A 17-year-old youth, three 16-yearolds and a 12-year-old were fined £15 each.

A 14-year-old was fined £5. They were found guilty by Sheriff K. W. B. Middleton of conducting themselves in a disorderly manner in the Harbour Pavillion on October 7, fighting and committing a breach of the peace.

... 100 years ago

A PAINFUL case took place in Haddington Sheriff Court in which a teenager stood accused of assaulting a child, reported The Haddingtonshire Courier on December 22, 1922.

On Friday in Haddington Sheriff Court, James Kerr (19), carter, Tranent, was found guilty of having assaulted a girl eight years of age.

Sheriff Macleod said it was difficult to know how to deal with such a case.

Owing to his age, accused could not be whipped.

He thought the best method of dealing with the case was to adjourn sentence till 5th March.

The accused was accompanied to the court by his mother.

When it was proposed to send her son to prison, a painful scene occurred.

The mother gave way to paroxysms of grief and had to be supported by a companion.