ROBERT Waterston Marr, known to everyone as Bobby, was born in Musselburgh on February 11, 1955.

His parents Peter and Helen initially raised Bobby and his brother Ian in Prestonpans.

The family then moved to Tranent when Bobby was about three years old.

Bobby attended Tranent Primary School and then later Ross High School.

He was quite a sporty child and played for Tranent Colts as a boy – he also enjoyed rugby and played for Ross High rugby team and Ross High Former Pupils in later years.

It was at Ross High Rugby Club that Bobby played for many years and made life-long friends – this was a wonderful time in his life that he always looked back fondly upon. For many years, Bobby happily supplied the half-time oranges.

Bobby was only 15 years old when his dad passed away and it saw him move into the family business.

He became a greengrocer and florist at the shop in Tranent on Winton Place.

Before the Marrs had the shop, Bobby’s dad had a mobile one in the form of a horse and cart.

As technology improved, they upgraded it to a van that Bobby later drove through East Lothian.

It was this van that led to his dad buying the family grocers and florist shop in 1958, a former house that Bobby’s dad had converted.

Due to driving the van on his rounds through East Lothian, Bobby got to know everyone.

When Bobby retired five years ago and the shop was sold, it brought to an end more than 50 years of P & H Marr on Winton Place.

During his retirement years, he continued to supply funeral flowers to Co-op Funeral Care, as he had done at his shop for over 40 years.

Bobby also had many local clients who stayed with him when he gave up the shop and decided to work from home in his garage five years ago.

Looking back over his career, Bobby made many friends among his clients.

Many generations of families shopped at The Marrs’ and their children went to Bobby’s for their ‘mixtures’, and their children after them.

The shop was looked upon as a sort of community hub, where people came to share their news and often get valuable advice from Bobby. Some remember him as being ahead of his time, making slush drinks long before they were invented. That was more than 35 years ago – everyone loved the slushes that Bobby made.

After his retirement, Hallowe’en remained a big deal with the local children at the Marr home. Many of the local kids came to the door to do their turn, faithfully observed by Jock, one of his dogs.

Hallowe’en was Jock’s favourite time of year. One year, Bobby and Ann remarkably handed out 90 bags of sweets – everyone was always made welcome.

Looking back over his family life, Bobby met his wife Ann at primary school, where they knew each other for years. They got together in their late teens and fell in love.

The couple married at Gladsmuir Parish Church on June 18, 1975, and settled down at Church Street in Tranent.

They then moved to Winton Place by the family shop, followed by 20 High Street and finally Kennedy Crescent, where Bobby loved nothing more than to indulge in his passion for gardening.

It was at Winton Place that Bobby and Ann became proud parents to their son Cameron, followed by their daughter Carly – two children and a poodle called Sherry and the Marr family was complete.

Bobby did his best to be a hands-on dad, despite doing 12-hour days in the shop, going to the football with Carly and band practice with Cameron.

Throughout his children’s lives he was very supportive and extremely proud of all their achievements.

The family for many years would go on caravan holidays throughout the UK.

They later started travelling further afield, going abroad to places such as Spain, Portugal, Florida, Paris and Bruges, and many other sunny places throughout Europe.

In later years, Bobby enjoyed the familiarity of holidays spent in Benidorm whilst he was able. Closer to home, there were also holidays spent with friends in the Lake District.

Outside of work, Bobby’s great passions were the family dogs Jock and Angus.

Jock was always by his side and they enjoyed many walks together and chats up the street. Bobby loved to catch up with the locals around Tranent as he missed seeing everyone in the shop.

It was seven years ago that Bobby’s health began to deteriorate. Throughout a lot of harrowing treatment, he never complained and remained very brave and stoic.

He was often heard saying: “I’m still here – you’ve just got to get on with it.”

But that was just Bobby, and that’s just one of the many reasons why people loved him. He was a quiet and unassuming man who was happy with his lot in life.

Bobby, who had colon cancer, sadly passed away on July 31, aged 64.

His funeral took place on August 14 at Tranent Cemetery, attended by hundreds of people.

Those at the funeral parlour described the funeral crowd as “the biggest one they had seen”.

A collection at the funeral in Bobby’s memory raised more than £1,180, with the money donated to Edinburgh Cancer Centre at the Western General Hospital.

Bobby’s daughter Carly said: “Just like anyone who has lost someone, it has been a tough few weeks.

“We are very grateful to everyone for all of their help and support. People have been really kind.”

Bobby will be remembered for his cheery nature and always having a smile for everyone.

He has been described by many people as a “true gentleman”.