A MAN whose shed was burnt to the ground as his toddler nephew slept just yards away has said the possible consequences of the fire “do not bear thinking about”.

Emergency services were called to Lindores Drive, Tranent at about 2.30am last Saturday following reports of a shed alight.

Grant Innes, who lives in the adjacent upstairs property, told the Courier of the frightening experience.

He said: “We were awoken by a loud bang on the door, which turned out to be one of the neighbours who was returning home.

“We answered the door and were confronted by smoke and flames as the garden shed is about six feet away from the front door. Obviously, the panic set in. We live in a first-floor flat and the stairway was filled with smoke and the heat was almost unbearable even then.”

Grant, 37, was at home at the time – alongside his mum Fiona, 61, dad Hamish, 59, brother Craig, 25, his brother’s girlfriend Chloe Anderson, 23, and their 18-month-old boy Charlie – and was awoken by neighbours Nicole Douglas and Simon Bradley.

In the shed were a range of items including a garden shredder, power washers and a children’s bike.

Grant, who works in security, told the Courier: “It is all gone.

“The heat was too much and there is a big puddle of molten metal and plastic.

“Everything has gone, everything.”

The heat also caused damage to the house, melting part of the front door and cracking windows.

The family has lived in the upstairs property for more than 20 years.

Grant added: “I certainly was never expecting anything like that to happen.

“We are quite a quiet living family and keep ourselves to ourselves.”

He put the incident down to “pure vandalism” and thanked his neighbours and the fire service for their part in ensuring the circumstances were not far worse.

Grant said: “I’m actually still shocked but also disgusted how someone can do that.

“It does not matter who lives there or what have you, the house was filling with smoke.

“There are kids living in the house, kids living downstairs as well – it does not bear thinking about.”

A spokeswoman for Police Scotland confirmed an investigation was under way, with the possibility the fire was connected to a blaze at nearby Coalgate Avenue at about 5am.

In the second incident, a wheelie bin was set alight.

Sergeant Derek MacDonald of Tranent Police Station said: “Thankfully no one was injured in these incidents but we will not tolerate this kind of behaviour which could have caused harm.

“We believe these incidents could be linked and would like to speak to anyone who may have seen anything in the areas, or who may have information about these fires.

“Anyone with information can contact Police Scotland on 101, quoting incident 0501 of November 24 for the first incident and 0776 for the second incident. Or they can call anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”