EMERGENCY services were called out to help a man who had “severe blisters” on his feet after stepping on hot sand.

Dunbar’s RNLI crew was called out on Saturday (June 30) evening after reports of a man burning his feet at Belhaven Beach.

The volunteers arrived on the scene shortly after 5.35pm to find the man with “severe blisters on his feet and in considerable pain”.

A spokesman for the Dunbar RNLI said: “He and his partner had been enjoying a barbecue on the beach.

“When the barbecue cooled they moved it elsewhere but the man stood on sand where the disposable tray had been sitting.

“The heat of the sand was such his feet blistered.

“Crew members used burn bags to protect the man’s feet as they, with help from two surfers, transferred him to the lifeboat.

“They then headed to the nearby chalets at Shore Road, where an ambulance crew was waiting to treat the man for his injuries.”

The RNLI thanked the two surfers for raising the alarm and also offering assistance in guiding the crew to the exact location and transferring the man for treatment.

The spokesman added: “The recent warm weather is ideal for beach barbecues but we would urge people to take care.

“Even when a barbecue has cooled the heat of the sand underneath can be considerable, as this man’s injuries demonstrated.”