CHALLENGE Cup second round action was the challenge for many of the county's football sides at the weekend.

Tranent, Musselburgh Athletic and Dunbar United all progressed while Haddington Athletic and Preston Athletic were beaten.


Harthill Royal 0 Tranent 3

Tranent ran out 3-0 winners away to Harthill Royal in the prestigious competition.

After a tight first half, Tranent took the lead on the hour mark through Cammy Ross.

Kallum Higginbotham made it 2-0 just three minutes later before Broque Watson added a third with 14 minutes to play.

Harthill missed a late penalty as Tranent progressed comfortably.

More cup action awaits Tranent on Saturday as they host Hutchison Vale in the Scottish Cup first round.


Musselburgh Athletic 7 Edinburgh College 1

Musselburgh Athletic eased through to the third round of the Challenge Cup with a 7-1 win at home to Edinburgh College on Friday evening.

It was not the start to the game Musselburgh had hoped for as they found themselves behind on eight minutes before Nathan Evans had them level on 11 minutes.

Evans struck again 10 minutes later to put Musselburgh ahead.

Jordan Smith made it 3-1 on the half hour mark before Jamie Todd added a fourth five minutes later.

Musselburgh’s dominance continued in the second half with Smith adding the fifth two minutes later.

Evans was given a golden opportunity to make it a hat-trick on 53 minutes when the county side were awarded a penalty. The forward was clinical from the spot to make it 6-1.

Burgh were awarded a second penalty on 68 minutes.

This time Smith stepped up and also completed his hat-trick.

A fantastic all round performance from the county side, who host Gretna 2008 in the Scottish Cup first round on Saturday.


Peebles Rovers 1 Dunbar United 2

Dunbar United progressed to the third round of the Challenge Cup with a 2-1 win away to Peebles Rovers.

After a cagey first half, Dunbar went ahead just a minute into the second half through Sean Stewart.

Rovers drew level on 59 minutes through Scott Latto, but Stewart was on hand again with 14 minutes to go to pull Dunbar ahead and seal the win.

Dunbar face Scottish Cup action on Saturday when they travel to Edinburgh University in the first round.


Leith Athletic 2 Haddington Athletic 1

Haddington Athletic were eliminated from the Challenge Cup after a 2-1 away defeat to Leith Athletic.

Haddington found themselves 2-0 down after just 17 minutes when Kayne Paterson scored twice.

Gabri Auriemma pulled a goal back on 57 minutes after some neat build up play but despite some late chances, the Hi Hi’s could not draw level.

Haddington are not in action this weekend.


Preston Athletic 2 Arniston Rangers 5

Preston Athletic were beaten 5-2 at home to Arniston Rangers in the Challenge Cup.

Preston had the lead through Paul Currie just two minutes in but within 15 minutes Arniston were ahead with a quickfire two goals.

Yogi Scott had Preston level just before half time, but it was a second half to forget for the county side.

Arniston were lethal adding goals on the 59th, 74th and 92nd minute for a comfortable win.

Preston return to league action on Saturday with a trip to Newtongrange Star in the First Division.


Ormiston Primrose were not in action at the weekend. They face Edinburgh College at home in the Second Division on Saturday.