DUNBAR United moved a point closer to the First Division title, while Ormiston Primrose took a massive stride towards Second Division safety and Preston Athletic thrashed Dunipace as the football league season draws closer to the finish line.

Hopes of lifting the First Division title for already promoted Dunbar United became more likely on Saturday despite being held to a 1-1 draw away to Leith Athletic.

The county team went into the game a point clear of second placed Glenrothes, with the Fife side hosting Whitehill Welfare.

A cagey first half in the capital saw few chances for either side as they battled it out to push ahead.

Pressure from the home team paid off on 56 minutes when Kayne Paterson put Leith Athletic in front with a fine strike.

Chasing the game and knowing that a defeat could prove costly in the title race, Dunbar responded strongly and equalised through Bob Berry with 13 minutes to play.

While the dropped points could have been disastrous for Dunbar, it proved to be a point gained rather than two dropped as Glenrothes lost 4-2 at home to Whitehill Welfare.



Dunbar now know that three points at home to Camelon on Saturday in the final game of the season will guarantee them the league title.

Elsewhere, Preston Athletic were 5-0 winners away to Dunipace in the First Division.

It was a five-star performance from the visitors who took the lead midway through the first half through Jamie Devlin.

A capitulation from the home side early in the second half saw Devlin make it two just a minute in before Steven McCole added a third two minutes later.

McCole then made it a brace for himself eight minutes into the second half before Devlin made it a hat-trick in the closing minutes.

Preston are ninth in the table going into the final game of the season at home to Kinnoull.

East Lothian Courier: Ormiston Primrose (black and white) took a massive stride towards safety against CraigroystonOrmiston Primrose (black and white) took a massive stride towards safety against Craigroyston

In the Second Division, Ormiston Primrose were back to winning ways with a 3-2 win at home to Craigroyston to boost their survival hopes.

First half goals from Ben Tracey and Guy Kerr helped them to a 2-1 lead at half time.

Josh Winnik made it 3-1 with 25 minutes to go before a 72nd minute goal for Craigroyston ensured a nervy finish.

Ormiston are again outside of the relegation zone, two points clear of 15th placed Craigroyston ahead of the final game of the season away to bottom placed Lochgelly Albert.

Craigroyston host already relegated Hawick Royal Albert, a game they will feel confident about winning.