TRANENT Juniors got back to winning ways in the Scottish lowland League, while Musselburgh Athletic and Haddington Athletic were involved in high scoring thrillers.

Ormiston Primrose suffered cup heartbreak on penalties in the King Cup while Dunbar United and Preston Athletic had games called off due to the weather in what was a mixed set of results for the county’s football sides.

Tranent Juniors came back from a goal down to beat Open Goal Broomhill 2-1 away from home in the Scottish Lowland League and keep their hopes of promotion alive.

The hosts had the lead just five minutes in and did well to hold on to the advantage until half time.

Tranent came out fighting in the second half equalising just five minutes in through Daryl Healy before turning the game on its head on 67 minutes thanks to Kieran Sommerville.

It was a strong showing of character from the Tranent players who still believe they can do what is necessary to win promotion.

Tranent moved up to fourth in the table, five points behind league leaders Rangers B and with a game in hand. They remain two points behind third placed Spartans and seconf placed Celtic B.

There are five league games still to play, with Tranent next facing tenth placed Boness United at home on Saturday.

It was an impressive win for Musselburgh Athletic who were 6-1 victors away to Blackburn United in the Premier Division.

Zac Khan was outstanding as he netted a hattrick (9, 50, 67) while Craig Stevenson (17), Ben Weekes (87) and Matty O’Connor (90+3) completed the scoring.

It was a comfortable game throughout with Khan and O’Connor giving the visitors a 2-0 lead at half-time.

Khan would then make it 3-0 shortly after the break completing the hattrick 12 minutes later.

Blackburn pulled a goal back from the penalty spot with four minutes to play, but Weekes and O’Connor struck late to secure the win.

Musselburgh sit fourth in the table and face tenth placed Broxburn at home on Saturday.

Fellow Premier Division side Hadddington Athletic were involved in a seven-goal thriller at Millfield Park which they won 4-3 against Sauchie.

Dylan Tait had the hosts in front on eight minutes but the visitors were soon level on 21 minutes through Kieran Anderson.

Sauchie then took the lead on the half hour mark through Anderson again before making it 3-1 on 37 minutes through an own goal.

Ethan Williams pulled one back before half-time making it 3-2 to Sauchie at the break.

Haddington kept themselves in the fight in the second half with Sauchie holding on well until talisman Gabri Auriemma popped up on 84 minutes to nab an equaliser.

With the game level and still time to play the goal had given Haddington a lift and they grabbed a winner three minutes later from Zach Szemis to snatch all three points.

Haddington are up to fifth in the table and face eighth placed Dundonald Bluebell at home on Saturday.

Preston Athletic’s First Division game away to Coldstream was called off due to a frozen pitch.

The county side sit eighth in the table and return to action on Saturday away to bottom placed Kennoway Star.

Dunbar United’s King Cup third round tie away to Luncarty also fell victim to a frozen pitch and will have to be replayed.

Dunbar are top of the First Division and next face struggling side Coldstream at home on Saturday.

There was cup agony for Ormiston Primrose in the King Cup second round.

The Second Division side have proven tough to beat in recent weeks and did well to hold Hawick to a 0-0 draw before losing out narrowly on penalties (5-4).

Ormiston return to league action on Saturday away to eighth placed Thornton Hibs. The county side sit 16th in the table as they look to battle their way out of the relegation zone.