Musselburgh 31 Cartha Queen's Park 35

A NARROW defeat to fellow strugglers Cartha Queen's Park has left Musselburgh still fighting relegation from National 1 this season.

A penalty try two minutes from time proved decisive for the 14-man visitors, who had full-back Andy Scott sent off for two yellow card offences.

Burgh did cross for four tries, so a bonus point coupled with Stewart's Melville's defeat keeps them seven points above the drop zone.

The visitors started the brighter and quickly gained early territorial advantage and possession.

Burgh took the lead against the run of play. Following a break up the left flank – Scott was yellow carded as he halted the home attack.

And the resultant penalty to the corner and drive for the line concluded in Jonathan Crain scoring from close range and the hosts led 5-0.

With the Glasgow side still down a man, Grant Talac's side increased their lead as a break by Andrew Cook released Sandy Watt to sprint home. Danny Owenson converted for 12-0.

Three minutes later, Cartha got back in the game as prop Juan Phyfer barged over, with stand-off Gregor Davidson converting to cut the gap to five points on quarter of an hour.

A second yellow card followed as the game entered its second quarter, this time Ruairidh Young sent to the sin-bin after the referee deemed he had impeded a Cartha player chasing a kick through.

The man in the middle awarded the visitors a penalty try, and with it they took a two-point lead.

Owenson missed a penalty for the home side while they were still down to 14 men, and Cartha scored a third try two minutes before the break – centre Burrows the man to cross.

Davidson added the conversion and Talac's side trailed 12-21 at the break.

Early in the second half the visitors wrapped up their bonus point when Ewen Campbell scored, Davidson again converting.

Musselburgh, knowing they needed a score to get back into contention, mounted sustained pressure that ended when Rory Watt sniped over.

And that lifted the hosts, who crossed for their own bonus point score through Donald Kennedy. Owenson's conversion made it a four-point game (24-28) and it was all to play for in the final stages.

The turnaround was complete when Kennedy scored his second 12 minutes from time, Owenson again kicking the conversion to put Burgh 31-28 in front.

The hosts' cause was helped further when Cartha full-back Scott was shown a second yellow card, and sent off, for a dangerous tackle.

Cartha forced a number of penalties close to the Burgh line towards the end, and from a powerful scrum, were awarded a penalty try which sealed victory at Stoneyhill.

Talac's side are without a game on Saturday, but return to league duty next week (March 3) when they face a trip to Aberdeen Grammar.