WE TAKE a look at the stories making headlines in East Lothian 25, 50 and 100 years ago.

25 years ago

STARS from the world of music stopping off in Gullane made the front page of the East Lothian Courier on May 1, 1998.

The Templar Lodge in Gullane had a memorable open day on Saturday, when its first paying guests turned out to be well-known faces from the world of pop.

Staff were astonished when the first people to check in signed in as Tony Hadley, former singer with Spandau Ballet, and Spike Edney, the manager of Queen.

They were in East Lothian, accompanied by their wives, for the 40th birthday of their mutual friend, rock singer and Haddington resident Fish.

The famous visitors also paid a visit to the Waterside Bistro in Haddington and appeared to enjoy the relaxed environment in the county before they left on Monday morning.

The Templar Lodge re-opened at the weekend after three months of extensive refurbishment.

It is also trading under a new name, having previously been called the Queen’s Hotel, but, as project manager John Ritchie observed, one of its first guests was particularly appropriate.

50 years ago

AN ELECTRIFYING experience for a bingo caller shocked East Lothian Courier readers on May 4, 1973.

Thursday last will be a night long remembered by President Tom McAlpine of the Tranent branch of the Royal British Legion.

At the start of the bingo session, some of the audience laughed when Tom took the microphone to make the announcement and, bending down, banged his head on the drummer’s equipment.

This amusement was quickly stifled when it was discovered that the “caller” was not clowning but was really “eyes closed” as the result of an electric shock received when he adjusted a plug.

Fortunately a nearby official disconnected the microphone and a hospital matron who was present rendered first-aid until a “999” call brought an ambulance.

Tom slowly regained consciousness but required a skin-grafting operation to two of his fingers to replace the burnt skin.

100 years ago

A HADDINGTON man appeared in court accused of deserting his wife and children, reported The Haddingtonshire Courier on May 4, 1923.

Sheriff-substitute McDavid, at Duns, last week, passed a sentence of 30 days’ imprisonment on William Adams, labourer, now or lately resident at Goodall’s Place, Haddington, who pled guilty to a charge of having deserted his wife and two children, whereby they became chargeable to Swinton Parish.