WE TAKE a look at the stories making headlines in East Lothian 25, 50 and 100 years ago.

25 years ago...

PLANS to build new public toilets in Dunbar hit a hurdle after it was discovered that the site was an ancient burial ground, told the East Lothian Courier on March 6, 1998.

Dunbar’s long-awaited public toilets could be delayed... because the proposed site is an ancient burial ground.

East Lothian Council has unveiled plans to build a £100,000 toilet block on the foundations of the demolished Captain’s Cabin on Bayswell Road.

But hopes that it will be ready for early summer could be scuppered if the building work throws up any historical discoveries.

The area is a site of historic interest and a team of archaeologists will be on hand with permission to halt building work and begin excavating if any artefacts are unearthed.

The council legally had to inform Historic Scotland of its plans and hire a team of experts to make sure they were not hiding potentially important finds beneath the toilets.


50 years ago...

THE return of a wrestler to The Brunton after he nearly died on his last visit made the headlines in the East Lothian Courier on March 9, 1973

A wrestler, who was nearly choked to death on the ropes in the Brunton Hall ring last month, is bouncing back for a return bout.

Scottish wrestler Jimmy Cormack had to retire through injury during his match with Ireland’s Jim Devlin in the Hall two weeks ago.

Cormack was pinned against the ropes by Devlin, who proceeded to wind them round his neck.

He misjudged the tension and Cormack cried out in pain as the ropes tightened.

He was released by officials and rushed to the dressing room for first-aid and massage.

But Cormack is anxious to get back to wrestling and meet Devlin again in the Hall on March 22.

Jim Devlin, one of Ireland’s best ‘mat men’, is equally determined to win the bout.


100 years ago...

A FISHING boat caught fire near Dunbar, reported The Haddingtonshire Courier on March 9, 1923.

The motor fishing smack, “Resplendent”, of Pittenweem, was totally destroyed by fire on Saturday morning near the mouth of the Firth of the Forth.

The outbreak was discovered while the crew were hauling their herring nets, and, despite all efforts to subdue the flames, the fire gained the mastery.