WE TAKE a look at the stories making headlines in East Lothian 25, 50 and 100 years ago.

25 years ago...

‘RUGBY players down with dog fouling infections’ was a headline in the East Lothian Courier on February 20, 1998.

Irresponsible dog owners came under fire again this week after it emerged that two Dunbar Rugby Club players have been sidelined with infections resulting from contact with dog dirt.

Jim Callow, a member of the rugby club which plays at Winterfield, revealed the extent of the problem at Monday night’s community council meeting in the Town House.

“We have had two players go down with infections. They are running a risk,” said councillor Callow.

He added that the club had taken out a prosecution against one pet owner two years ago, but felt owners were being let off the hook.

“The authorities are not attempting to enforce legislation, so dog owners get complacent,” he added.


...and 50 years ago

A HADDINGTON couple’s daring rescue efforts in shark-infested waters were highlighted in the East Lothian Courier of February 23, 1973.

A Haddington policeman and his wife have been awarded the Queen’s Commendation for Brave Conduct.

They are P.C. Peter Anelli (25), and his 19-year-old wife, Kay, of 14 Peachdales, Haddington.

They were awarded the Commendation for their attempt to save a ship’s officer from drowning in shark infested seas off New Zealand last June.

The man they tried to rescue was Mr James Holden (34), of Prestwick, Ayrshire.

Mr Anelli was in the Merchant Navy at the time. He was a 2nd officer on the M.S. Shansi.

His wife was with him on the ship.


...and 100 years ago

A ‘DESPERATE struggle’ on a train was reported in The Haddingtonshire Courier on February 23, 1923.

The story of a desperate struggle in a railway carriage, and of the stopping of an Edinburgh to Newcastle express, was told at Belford, on Thursday, when George Duncan, miner, Killingwood, was charged with interfering with passengers on the 7.40pm EdinburghNewcastle express on January 3.

A young lady, named Miss Winifred Ainsley, from Alnwick, said Duncan entered the compartment at Dunbar, and immediately spoke to her, but she took no notice of him.

He then spoke to a sailor in the compartment, and because of his language and behaviour she complained to the officials at Berwick, who removed him to another compartment.

Shortly after the train left Berwick, however, Duncan, who had walked along the corridor, again entered the compartment, and became so abusive to the sailor that the latter volunteered to carry her luggage into another compartment.