DESPITE bad weather conditions, four county sides were in action on Saturday in both league and cup competitions.

The results, however, were mostly disappointing as only Tranent Juniors picked up a win while Dunbar United and Musselburgh Athletic were knocked out of the Challenge Cup and Ormiston Primrose slumped to another league defeat.

In the Challenge Cup third round, Dunbar United were beaten 3-1 away from home against Gartcairn.

The West of Scotland Football League First Division leaders were ruthless in front of goal in the second half after a goalless first 45 minutes.

Reegan Aitken put the hosts in front before Dunbar drew level through Dean Whitson.

But they were only level for two minutes as Scott Stevenson restored Gartcairn’s lead before Adam Boyle added a third in injury time.

Dunbar United face more cup action on Saturday as they travel to Gretna in the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup second round.

Musselburgh Athletic were also knocked out of the Challenge Cup away from home to Kilwinning Rangers.

It was a thrilling encounter with the hosts taking the lead inside 10 minutes through a Dylan Mackin penalty.

Musselburgh drew level soon after through Nathan Evans before Mark Miller restored the host’s lead just before half-time.

Ben Lewis added a third for Kilwinning Rangers with 25 minutes to go.

But Musselburgh did not give up pulling a goal back again through Evans with 10 minutes left before Max Conway was sent off for the hosts.

It is more cup action on Saturday for Musselburgh Athletic who face a home tie against Edinburgh University in the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup fourth round.

Tranent Juniors had to work hard to progress in the Challenge Cup as they overcame Blackburn United 3-2 at home.

The West Lothian side sit in the lower half of the East of Scotland Premier Division and Tranent were clear favourites going into the game.

And it looked like plain sailing for Tranent as they went in at half-time 2-0 up through Martin Maughan and Nicholas Reid.

Blackburn made them fight to keep in front though, pulling one back through Laurie Devine.

Tranent restored their two-goal advantage through Rory Currie before Callum Heath made it 3-2 late on.

Tranent Juniors have a free weekend this week and next face Hearts B on December 3 in the league.

The only side in league action on Saturday were Ormiston Primrose who were hoping to begin to turn their disappointing Second Division season around as they faced Stirling University away from home.

But any hope of doing so was quickly dismissed as they were beaten 4-1.

Luke McNiven and Jack Docherty had Stirling University 2-0 up at half-time before Docherty and Max Cole added another two inn the second half.

Ormiston pulled one back in added time through Jay Murray.

Ormiston sit second bottom in the table having picked up just six points from 16 games this season. They next face Easthouses Lily on December 3 after a free weekend this weekend.

Preston Athletic’s game away to Lochore Welfare in the First Division was called off due to bad weather.

Preston next face Whitehill Welfare away from home in the league on December 3.

Haddington Athletic did not have a fixture on Saturday and next play a friendly tomorrow against Dalkeith Thistle Football Club.

They then face Vale of Leithen away from home on December 3 in the Premier Division.