A DRUNKEN family Christmas argument ended in a court appearance for a Whitecraig man after he shouted and swore at his partner and made a threatening phone call to his son-in-law.

Kenneth Hughes had to be thrown out of the woman’s home in Prestonpans after he became abusive towards her and her daughter.

And after the police had arrived at his door, Hughes then made a phone call to his son-in-law where he told him he would “stab the f*** out of you” if he called the police on him again.

Hughes, 42, admitted two offences when he appeared at Edinburgh Sheriff Court last Thursday.

The court was told that Hughes and the woman had been in “an on-off relationship”.

The couple were at the woman’s home in Prestonpans when a row developed between them on December 27.

Hughes, of Whitecraig Crescent, began shouting and swearing and was asked to leave the home at the town’s Nethershot Road by the woman and her adult daughter.

He was said to have become “aggressive” towards both women and towards the daughter’s partner.

Hughes eventually left the home but returned later that night in an intoxicated state and began demanding cash from his partner.

The police were called by the daughter’s partner to deal with the situation but left without making any arrests.

In the early hours of the following morning, Hughes then called the man and made threats towards him by saying: “Send the f***ing police to the door again and I will f***ing stab the f*** out of you.”

Hughes was eventually arrested and charged with aggressive behaviour and making the threats.

Solicitor Steven Donald, for Hughes, said that his client had been drinking over the Christmas period after a five-year abstinence.

He said that the daughter’s partner was effectively Hughes’ son-in-law and he was left “mortified” after learning of his comments.

Mr Donald said that the family had formed “a bubble” to enjoy the festive period together and for two days “everything was fine”.

But the arguments began after Hughes had drunk alcohol on December 27 and he had to be “physically ejected from the house by his son-in-law”.

Hughes then made the phone call to the man after the police had appeared at his door at about 1am on December 28.

The lawyer added that Hughes hoped to reconcile with his partner when court proceedings were over.

Sheriff Alistair Noble deferred sentence on Hughes for six months for him to show good behaviour.

Hughes pleaded guilty to acting in an aggressive manner towards his partner by shouting, swearing, refusing to leave the premises, kicking various items and uttering threats to the woman at Nethershot Road, Prestonpans, on December 27 last year. He also admitted to behaving in a threatening or abusive manner by making a phone call to his son-in-law, swearing and uttering threats of violence towards him at Fowlers Court, Prestonpans, on December 28 last year.