WE TAKE a look at the stories making headlines in East Lothian 25, 50 and 100 years ago.


25 years ago

ROLLERBLADING youngsters were causing concern among residents in Dunbar, reported the East Lothian Courier on October 20, 1995.

Residents fear that the rollerblade craze sweeping across Dunbar could result in serious injury unless facilities are provided for youngsters to practise in safety.

Local police and youth club organisers said that “huge numbers” were now involved in the sport – skating their way to school, rolling at speed along the High Street and whizzing around town car parks.

Rollerblades were likely to be popular Christmas presents and therefore even more children were expected to take to the streets in the New Year.

Said PC Richardson of Dunbar police: “Kids are going about everywhere on them, they’re certainly getting more and more popular.”

So far they had not been “a particular nuisance.”

However, PC Richardson added: “We do get the odd complaint and elderly residents in particular are concerned about the speed they travel at.”


50 years ago

PARENTS in Tranent were worried about the safety of their children after glass was found scattered about a school playing field, according to The Haddingtonshire Courier of October 23, 1970.

Tranent parents are becoming concerned at the danger which exists for their children because of broken glass scattered about on the Ross High School playing field.

Recently, one of the pupils – 13-year-old Thomas Wilson – had his hand badly cut when he fell during a rugby match on the school pitch.

Now the parents are demanding that some action should be taken to prevent further incidents.


100 years ago

A MAN was fined in court for not sending his son to school for a month, The Haddingtonshire Courier reported on October 22, 1920.

In Haddington Sheriff Court on Monday, John Pirrie, miner, Tranent, was charged with having for one month before 9th October failed to send his son regularly to school.

The accused was represented by his wife, who explained that her husband was in bad health, and unable to appear in Court.

Mr J. W. Williamson, solicitor, for the Education Authority, said that the accused had been summoned to attend a meeting of the Committee but had paid no attention to this or to an attendance order which had been issued against him.

Sheriff MacLeod said the expenses of the prosecution, amounting to £1, 1s 6, would have to be paid, and if the boy were not kept regularly at school further penalties were possible.