A SECOND tribute has been made in memory of a local conservationist who worked to protect and enhance Musselburgh’s built environment.

A plaque was unveiled on Saturday, August 29, at a newly planted lime tree to commemorate Stephen Edwards, a former chairman of Inveresk Village Society and staunch member of Musselburgh Conservation Society.

The memorial is located on the green in front of Musselburgh Grammar School.

Family members joined Barry Turner and Linda Cessford of Inveresk Village Society, which funded the tree and plaque, to share memories of Mr Edwards at the plaque unveiling on Saturday.

Mr Turner said: “We wanted a prominent place for the tree which has a connection with the town and Inveresk village, and the one chosen was offered by the council’s tree officer.

“It happens to be a location which Stephen would have passed almost every day when walking between his home and the town.”

Mr Edwards, who served on the conservation society’s committee for many years and as its chairman from 1993 to 1999, died in 2017.

A plaque in his memory, funded by Musselburgh and Inveresk Community Council, can also been seen at the Hayweights Clock, which he campaigned to have restored.

The clock was put into storage when the Brunton Hall was built in the late 1960s. It was originally presented to Musselburgh and Fisherrow in 1909 by Mr Adam Black Esq, Writer to the Signet, and mounted at the Old Hay Weigh House, at the junction of Bridge Street and North High Street.

When the adjacent Brunton Hall was built, the Old Hay Weigh House, built in the 1880s, was demolished, and the clock and tower removed to a builder’s yard in Millhill for storage.

Funds were made available by Tesco to have the casing, including a replacement clock, re-erected at its present site on Mall Avenue.