A FORMER army quartermaster repeatedly punched a man to the head during a family argument at a county bowling club.

Francis Mack struck victim Charles Brown to the face when the pair clashed at Cockenzie and Port Seton Bowling Club last November.

Mack, 47, became involved in the physical confrontation after his son Cameron had exchanged cross words with Mr Brown.

Mack, of Golf Drive, Port Seton, violently attacked his victim by repeatedly striking him to the face.

The army veteran was said to be “deeply embarrassed” at landing himself in court last week, where he pleaded guilty to two offences.

Co-accused and son Cameron Mack, of the same address, had his not guilty plea to an assault charge accepted by the Crown prior to the case calling at court.

Fiscal depute Christopher McKnight told the court that Francis Mack was at the bowling club with his son Cameron at about 6.30pm on November 11 last year.

Mr McKnight said that a row broke out between Cameron Mack and Mr Brown which resulted in Francis Mack approaching Mr Brown and punching him to the face.

Francis Mack was then pulled away by security staff but he continued to lash out and police were called in to deal with the situation.

The court heard that the whole incident was caught on the bowling club’s CCTV and Mack soon admitted his guilt.

Defending solicitor Edward Wilson said that there had been family tensions between the parties and explained that Mr Brown’s son was the father of the child Cameron Mack and his partner were bringing up.

Mr Wilson said that Mr Brown had “made comments to Cameron Mack and [the situation] had escalated”, resulting in Francis Mack becoming involved in the fracas.

The solicitor handed over an army testimonial to Sheriff Adrian Cottam and explained that Mack had served his country and had achieved the rank of regimental quartermaster.

Mr Wilson added that the railway breakdown worker was “deeply embarrassed” by his first ever appearance in court following the assault on Mr Brown.

Mr Wilson said: “He has made it to the age he is without coming to the attention of the courts and it is hoped this is the first and last time he appears in court.”

Sheriff Cottam said: “I am pretty sure from your army testimonials that you will stay out of trouble and if you stay out of trouble then I will admonish at that stage.”

Sentence was deferred to October 23.

Mack admitted assaulting Charles Brown by repeatedly punching him to the head at Cockenzie and Port Seton Bowling Club on November 11 last year.

He also admitted struggling with door stewards and lashing out during the same incident.

Cameron Mack, 21, was jailed for 100 days earlier this year after he admitted running onto the pitch and confronting Rangers FC defender James Tavernier during a stormy SPFL match against Hibernian at Easter Road in Edinburgh.