A VODKA bottle was smashed over a woman’s head by her boyfriend in a row at a Travelodge.

Scott Wells lashed out and struck the woman to the head when the pair rowed in the hotel in Edinburgh in February last year.

Wells, 38, left his girlfriend “bleeding heavily” from the blow and following the attack she was rushed to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for treatment to the wounds.

Wells also assaulted his partner and a teenage girl by seizing hold of them and punching the pair to the face during an incident in Musselburgh in April.

Wells, of Northfield, Tranent, pleaded guilty to both offences when he appeared in the dock at Edinburgh Sheriff Court last Friday.

Sheriff Michael O’Grady QC told Wells he had carried out “a disgraceful and thuggish” assault on both females and sentenced him to a total of 10 months in prison.

Previously the court was told that Wells and his partner had been enjoying a night out in Edinburgh and were staying at a Travelodge at the city’s Rose Street.

Fiscal Rosie Cook said: “The accused and the complainer were within the hotel room and both had been drinking alcohol.

“An argument began followed by an altercation.

“The accused hit her on the side of the head with a vodka bottle and she suffered two cuts to the front side of her head.

“She was a described as being dazed and bleeding heavily.”

Ms Cook added that the victim was taken to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh where the wounds were glued together. Photographs of the head wounds suffered by the woman were shown to the sheriff.

Defence solicitor Paul Smith said that his client also suffered injuries that evening, including scratches to his face and bruising caused by fingernails.

Wells was jailed for 10 months and was issued with a non-harassment order banning him from approaching or contacting his partner and the teenage girl for the next two years.

Wells admitted assaulting his partner by striking her to the head with a glass bottle at Travelodge, Rose Street, Edinburgh, on February 25 last year.

He also pleaded guilty to assaulting the woman and a teenage girl by seizing hold of them and punching them both to the face at an address in Musselburgh on April 17 this year.