AN EVENING at an Edinburgh nightclub ended with a Tranent man carrying out an assault after he had received an injury.

Jordan Coyle was enjoying a night out with his partner at the Capital’s Atik club when he became involved in an altercation with Alac Wood.

Coyle and Mr Wood clashed on the dance floor, with Coyle receiving a blow that caused a cut to his eyebrow, Edinburgh Sheriff Court heard.

He left the nightclub to receive treatment at a nearby mobile medical centre, where he had to have stitches inserted in the wound.

But after leaving the medics, Coyle was walking on the city’s busy Lothian Road when he spotted Mr Wood and two friends further down the street.

Coyle, of Tranent’s Civic Square, approached the man from behind before striking him to the head after the pair had argued.

The assault committed by Coyle was caught on CCTV and he was subsequently traced by police officers and charged.

Coyle, 24, pleaded guilty to the attack on Mr Wood when he appeared at Edinburgh Sheriff Court last Tuesday.

Prosecutor Bruce McCrossan said that the assault was captured on CCTV in the “early hours of the morning” last December 2.

Mr McCrossan said Mr Wood was attacked from behind following the “physical confrontation” between the two men at the nightclub.

Mary Moultrie, defending, said her client had been punched to the face inside the club by Mr Wood, who was said to have had a glass in his hand at the time.

Ms Moultrie said Coyle had four stitches inserted after being struck and that he had approached the man outside looking for an apology.

The lawyer said the two men argued for about 10 minutes before Coyle lashed out and struck Mr Wood to the head.

The court was told that Coyle had a previous criminal record and that he was unemployed and a carer for his father.

Sheriff Michael O’Grady QC decided to mark the assault by ordering Coyle to pay a fine of £150.

Doyle admitted assaulting Alac Wood by striking him to the head at Tollcross, Edinburgh, on December 2, 2018.