A TRANENT man who was dumped by his partner but could not leave her alone has ended up in court.

Thomas McLean, 55, had been in a relationship with the woman for just two months when she broke it off last October.

But McLean began making unwanted phone calls and turning up at the woman’s door late at night in a bid to woo her back.

The woman was forced to call in the police to deal with McLean after he failed to leave her alone.

He appeared at Edinburgh Sheriff Court last Friday, where he pleaded guilty to causing the woman fear and alarm.

Fiscal depute Bruce McCrossan told the court that the couple had known each other for about 12 months but had only been in a romantic relationship for two months before separating.

Mr McCrossan said that the woman had been forced to call in the police last November after McLean harassed her and at that time he was handed a police warning over his conduct.

But just weeks later, McLean began making unwanted phone calls to his ex-partner before he then turned up at her front door in the middle of the night.

McLean knocked on her door at about 12.30am on December 12 last year, while the woman had her young grandchildren in the house.

She did not answer the knocking and remained in bed and McLean then began calling her on the phone again.

Edinburgh Sheriff Court was told that the knocking went on for more than 40 minutes and the woman was forced to call police for a second time.

He was eventually traced and arrested three days later and admitted to officers he had been the one knocking and making the phone calls.

Solicitor Mr Barr said that McLean, of Northfield, had “struggled with the end of the relationship” and had an issue with alcohol at the time of the offending.

The lawyer added that McLean’s actions had solely been an attempt to “fix the relationship” with his ex-partner.

Sheriff Adrian Cottam told McLean: “I appreciate you probably did not mean to cause fear and alarm but you must have realised – especially going at that time of the night.”

McLean was fined £400 and handed a two-year non-harassment order banning him from making any contact with the woman.

McLean admitted engaging in a course of conduct that caused his ex-partner fear and alarm by making unwanted phone calls to her, attending at her home address uninvited and repeatedly knocking on a door there at an address at Coalgate Avenue, Tranent, between November 13 and December 12 last year.