A MAN who died after a minibus overturned on Saturday morning has been named as Port Seton man Ross Jones Barker.

The 59-year-old was travelling to Kelso, in the Scottish Borders, with 22 other passengers and the driver in a private minibus.

The bus overturned on the A6089 between Carfraemill and Gordon, east of Earlston, at about 10.50am and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

An investigation is under way to establish the full circumstances surrounding the crash.

Chief Inspector Steven Duncan, of the Lothians and Scottish Borders Police Division, paid tribute.

He said: “This has been an outing among friends and associates which has turned into tragedy.

“Our sympathies are with Ross’ family, who have respectfully requested privacy during this terrible ordeal as they try to come to terms with their loss.

“Our thoughts also remain with all those injured and their families.

“I want to take this opportunity to thank our colleagues in the Scottish Ambulance Service and Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, who provided vital help in responding to this incident.

“We’re also very grateful to the NHS, Scottish Borders Council and the public for their support of officers and all those affected.”

All 23 of the other men, aged between 24 and 75, on board were taken to hospital.

Fourteen were taken to Borders General Hospital at Melrose, eight to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, and one was airlifted to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Glasgow.

Six remain in hospital with serious injuries, but all are considered stable at this time.

The road was closed in both directions until 9pm on Saturday evening to allow the Road Policing Unit to conduct investigations at the scene and for the vehicle to be recovered.

A statement from Kelso Racecourse said: "Our sadness deepens as more facts emerge regarding the fatal vehicle accident, which involved race-goers on their way to Kelso.

"The accident will impact on a wide community which extends to many of those who regularly attend Kelso races.

"Our thoughts are with the family and friends of those involved and we wish those involved a speedy recovery."

A statement on the Facebook page of The Dean Tavern in Newtongrange said: "The management and staff would like to pass on our condolences to those affected by the horrific accident on the way to Kelso.

"As we wait for more news to come through, our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of all those affected."