THUGS set fire to a motorcycle as it sat at the bottom of a stairwell, just a few feet from a pet enclosure containing two ferrets.

Owner Chris Forbes was alerted to the blaze when he heard a huge bang outside the family home in Tranent on Friday evening.

He looked out to see his prized Rieju Pro Marathon 125 motorcycle engulfed in flames.

Firefighters were called to the scene and the family's two pet ferrets who were in their enclosure next to the fire were taken to safety.

Police are investigating the blaze which it is thought was started after the bike was targeted by thieves.

Chris' mum Claire said the family's pet ferrets were sleeping next to the bike when it was set alight.

She said: "It looks like they tried to steal the bike but couldn't cut through the security so set it on fire.

"The ferrets' enclosure is right next to it and we were very lucky they escaped without any serious injury. Chris is devastated: the bike was his pride and joy."

The family are appealing for anyone who saw anything suspicious on Tranent High Street, where they stay, next to the pet shop, to get in touch with police and help track down those responsible.

Christ only bought the bike, which cost around £5,000, last year.

Police confirmed they are investigating the blaze which broke out shortly after 8pm in the back yard of the home on Tranent High Street.